The best part of summer is cooking and eating outside, especially on a warm night. Below are a few things to remember when grilling your plant based (PB) proteins, just to keep everything rolling the way it’s supposed to.
1. Shorter cook times. Most vegan proteins come precooked so you don’t have to cook them as long, or on as high a temperature. In fact if you do cook them hot and long, the grill will probably tear them apart.
2. Marinades. Think ahead and Google some interesting marinades to try, and get your proteins ready. Try a spicy, citrusy marinade (chili lime, anyone?) to add interesting heat.
3. What are you cooking? If you are cooking a “plain” tempeh or tofu, be aware of the fact that it will be bland if you don’t follow tip No. 2! So if you don’t want to turn anyone off with that boring piece of tofu, give it a good marinade and test it out before the big BBQ day.
4. Drinks! Okay so maybe this has nothing to do with your plant-based grill selection–but drinks are important! The summer is full of fresh fruits, so put out a mix of berries, melons and herbs to mix with a nice rum for a fun summer punch. Don’t want to wait for summer to get your fruity drink on? Here is an article on Huff Post about great Springtime fruit-based boozables.
5. Pick your wood. A great BBQ is made with a good blend of woods, and the flavor of your food will change depending on your selection. Try a fruit or nut wood, like cherry, apple, peach, hickory, maple, oak or mesquite!
Okay, now tell me what’s going on your grill this summer!