Want to protect yourself from the sun and save animals at the same time? Then try one of these top-ranked iEatGrass sunscreen faves this summer! But first, I’m going to go all “mommy” on you.
No matter who you are, where you are, or what color your skin is, everyone needs sunscreen to protect their skin from damaging UV rays from the sun. Using sunscreen products decreases the chances for sunburn and can prevent skin cancer. The sun’s drying rays also prematurely age the skin and lead to wrinkles. Nobody likes wrinkles.
If you’re going to be outdoors for more than 15 minutes during the day or even if your experiencing direct sunlight coming through a window (UVA rays pass through glass) you must always apply sunscreen. Cloudy days are no exception.
Do yourself a favor and try to remember to apply sunscreen 15 to 30 minutes before going outdoors. Cover all exposed areas. I know this may sound lame — but it can literally be a lifesaver. If you’re too cool for lathering up — at least protect your face. Before I apply my makeup (which I make sure has SPF in it, too) I always apply sunscreen. Your future self will thank you.
If you’re not sure how to figure out if a product is cruelty-free or not, check for either of these logos. Also check out LeapingBunny.org for an extensive list of cruelty-free and vegan beauty products.
That said, here’s the iEG top five faves (in no specific order)!
1. Absent of parabens, petrochemicals, and fragrances; Supergoop! has grown into a family of highly-technical skincare solutions, using the most powerful antioxidants and scientific ingredients that protect, combat the signs of aging, and promote healthier, youthful skin.
2. The creators of Kiss My Face took the liberty of adding Hydresia, an oleosome from safflower for improved moisturizing and easy rub in. For those looking for easy application and clear coverage, the Sport Spray SPF 50 goes on clear and dry. The Sun Spray SPF 30, Oat Protein SPF 18 and 30 and Face Factor SPF 30 and 50 use a combination of both types of sun screens. Basically… it’s a one stop shop.
3. Alba’s natural sunscreen is a non-greasy, quick-absorbing and very water resistant lotion which makes it perfect for daily use. Read that? DAILY. Its ingredients include aloe vera, green tea and sunflower seed oil to quickly absorb and effectively nourish sun-exposed skin.
4. Let’s take a moment to thank Goddess Garden Organics for creating an all natural spray-on sunscreen. Convenience in a bottle, this organic sunscreen is the first of its kind. With such a great product at hand, it’s only natural that there’s an adorable story to tell. The creator’s inspiration came from her daughter who was allergic to chemicals found in traditional bath products. Go, mom!
5. For those of you with little ones… California Baby is your go-to source for protecting your little bundle of love! The send of this lotion is amazing! This product is also known not to sting if it gets in your child’s eyes. According to its website, the American Academy of Pediatrics states that if exposure to the sun is unavoidable and your baby is under six months, a non-chemical sunscreen should be used. This is extremely important. At such a young age, as a parent, you might not know what your kid’s allergies are. Luckily, California Baby does not contain gluten, soy, oat, dairy or nuts except for coconut, which is not typically restricted in the diets of those with tree nut allergies.
So, as you can see, protecting yourself from the sun is unbelievably important. Not just in the summer and not just at the beach. Every day. Don’t make up excuses, don’t justify the situation — just do it. PROMISE? Send us a virtual pinky-swear in a comment!