This statement is a controversial one. There is a fine line between sticking to a plant-based diet and avoiding animal products and byproducts entirely. I am going to refer to this as the “vegan line.”
There are tons of reasons why individuals choose to adopt a plant-based diet. It could be for animal cruelty advocacy, health concerns or complications, environmental issues, etc. However, more often than not, further research and acquired literature usually is enough to make someone want to go completely vegan. That is when the “vegan line” is crossed.
A vegan comprehends the suffering that animals endure not only for food but for clothing and everyday consumer items as well. Notice I said, “comprehend” and not “understands” for it is almost impossible for one to understand how that feels. Although by wearing fur or leather, you’re not admitting hormone-injected, stressed and sick animals into your body – but you would still be funding the production process, which unfortunately includes mass amounts of cruelty to animals. I don’t know about you… but that is not the pot where I want my hard-earned dollars to go into.
For your own sanity, please understand that delving into a vegan lifestyle is commonly done by taking baby steps. It’s OK to pace yourself — especially when you have endured an entire life blindly supporting factory farms.
Luckily, there are guides to help us.
- Leaping Bunny: look on the labels of detergents, cleaners, toiletries and cosmetics for the Leaping Bunny logo. Sometimes a product will also blatantly say, “not tested on animals.”
- Pledge: Make a personal commitment to eliminate animal testing by signing the Leaping Bunny Pledge. Join the collective voice that will drive more companies to go cruelty-free.
- PETA: Check out PETA’s ultimate Shopping Guide to Compassionate Clothing.
- Sign up for our newsletter eblast on our homepage for weekly vegan foodie, health and pop culture updates.
- If you’re ever unsure of something, you can ALWAYS ask your trusty iEG staff. Share your thoughts and questions in a comment. Otherwise, don’t ever hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Answers are all around us; make sure you learn about your surroundings. It’s not out of sight, out of mind, anymore. We’re smarter than that. Whether you adopt a plant-based diet or embrace a vegan lifestyle – both choices are a step in the right direction to help eliminate animal cruelty and a better planet.