Whadda ya need? (serves 4)
- 1 small Butternut Squash
- 1 Onion
- 4 medium-sized Carrots
- 2 Vegetable Stock Cubes
- 4 Garlic Cloves (reserve 1 for the topping)
- Olive Oil
- A handful of Fresh Rosemary
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1 TSP Black Pepper
- 1 can of Coconut Milk
How do I make it?
- Cut the squash into cubes (skin on, it’s where the good stuff is and it’s a ball-ache to peel) and toss into a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover the cubes and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the stock cubes.
- After about 5 min. add the carrots, garlic and onion. Chop ’em up however you like, we’re going to blend the crap out of it anyway.
- Leave to bubble until everything is soft and turn off the heat.
- For the garlic/rosemary crunch, heat a splash of olive oil in a pan and very finely chop them up. You wanna get them as small as possible so they fry fast and you can sprinkle them like delicious fairy dust. Turn the heat off just as the garlic is starting to brown. Set to one side and crack on with ya blending.
- Add the whole can of coconut milk to the squash/carrot/onion/garlic and stock mixture and use a hand blender to whizz it all up until it’s smooth.
- Pop it back on the heat and add the salt and pepper.
- Serve up with a sprinkle of that gold dust rosemary concoction and prepare for the soup of all soups!
Don’t forget to tag #whatleilaeats in your creations!
Leila Buffery, otherwise known as WhatLeilaEats, is a Brighton, UK chef/mischievous prankster who started her vegan journey with an ambition to inspire others to lead a cruelty-free lifestyle. Food to make your soul and tummy glow. Check out more of Leila’s vegan cooking on whatleilaeats.tumblr.com, and amazing food porn on her Instagram.