By: Michelle Siriani, iEG Contributor
Hearty Vegan Winter Chili
This recipe is easy as 1, 2, 3. Serve this chili up over a bowl of quinoa or vegetables. It can be used in quesadillas or served as a side dish. I eat my vegan chili warm, with a slice of toasted bread and topped with some daiya shredded cheddar cheese.
Prep Time: 20 min |Cook Time: 10 min |Ready: 30 minutes |Servings: 6
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 2 lb Gardein Beefless Ground Protein * (You may also use Seitan. Pulse in food processor until it has a crumble consistency*)
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans chopped stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can spicy chili beans
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- pinch salt to taste
- pinch black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Saute’ the onions until they are soft and have a slight color (5-8 minutes).
- Add the the crumble to the onions, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Michelle Siriani is a plant-based chef and graduate of the Natural Gourmet Institute in New York City. She loves cooking and baking healthy, delicious vegan food, inspired by her mom. She’s currently a pastry cook at the fabulous Peacefood Café, on the Upper West Side of New York City. At 16, after watching “Meet your Meat” on HBO and she became a vegetarian and went vegan a few years later. She loves taking pictures of food, summer nights, anything 80’s and singing in the kitchen, to name a few. A proud mom of her rescued kitties and the love of her life, rescued pit bull “Austin”. One day she hopes to open up a vegan bed and breakfast / sanctuary for senior animals.
You can follow her on Instagram: @Chef_Michelle Ann