By: Michelle Siriani, iEG Contributor
“Yo, Adrian, we did it… we did it. We made the most amazing Vegan Philly Cheesesteak.”
After binge watching all the Rocky movies one lazy Sunday afternoon, I was inspired to make this easy, authentic, vegan cheesesteak hero.
Makes 4-6 Sandwiches
Prep Time: 30 minutes| Cook Time: 20 minutes| Total Time: 50 minutes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil for the pan
- 4 portobello mushrooms, sliced into strips
- 7-9 shiitake mushrooms, sliced into strips
- 2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ½ pound seitan, shredded
- ¼ cup tamari
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices vegan provolone cheese
- 6 whole grain hoagie rolls, toasted
Step By Step Instructions:
- Set oven to 350 degrees, toast rolls until they are crispy.
- Heat oil in a skillet; add mushrooms, peppers and onions with a pinch of salt. Sauté’ until the onions are translucent and begin to caramelize and the peppers have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add seitan and tamari, season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté for 8-10 minutes. Seitan should be soft.
- Gently fold in the cheese.
- Split rolls and add a generous portion to each sandwich.
- Top with more cheese and Serve hot!
Michelle Siriani is a plant-based chef and graduate of the Natural Gourmet Institute in New York City. She loves cooking and baking healthy, delicious vegan food, inspired by her mom. She’s currently a pastry cook at the fabulous Peacefood Café, on the Upper West Side of New York City. At 16, after watching “Meet your Meat” on HBO and she became a vegetarian and went vegan a few years later. She loves taking pictures of food, summer nights, anything 80’s and singing in the kitchen, to name a few. A proud mom of her rescued kitties and the love of her life, rescued pit bull “Austin”. One day she hopes to open up a vegan bed and breakfast / sanctuary for senior animals.
You can follow her on Instagram: @Chef_MichelleAnn