By: Michelle Siriani, iEG Contributor
Ice cream gets a whole new use in this tender bread recipe, using self-rising flour. Self-rising flour is flour that already has baking powder and salt mixed in. It’s traditional in Southern baking, used to make high rising biscuits, quick muffins and delicate cakes. This flour is relatively low in protein, producing exceptionally tender baked goods. So why not add it to your favorite vegan ice cream, and make ice cream bread? You can use any flavor combo that you love. My flavor of choice is Mocha Almond Fudge.
Mocha Almond Fudge – Ice Cream Bread
Serving: Makes 1 loaf, 6 to 8 slices
- 1 pint So Delicious dairy free, ice cream
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Let ice cream soften on the countertop for 10 to 15 minutes (don’t let it melt).
2. Combine the ice cream, flour, sugar, vanilla extract in large bowl and mix until moistened. Mix in the chocolate chips.
3. Scrape batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let stand on a wire rack in the pan for 10 minutes, and let cool completely before slicing.
Michelle Siriani is a plant-based chef and graduate of the Natural Gourmet Institute in New York City. She loves cooking and baking healthy, delicious vegan food, inspired by her mom. She’s currently a pastry cook at the fabulous Peacefood Café, on the Upper West Side of New York City. At 16, after watching “Meet your Meat” on HBO and she became a vegetarian and went vegan a few years later. She loves taking pictures of food, summer nights, anything 80’s and singing in the kitchen, to name a few. A proud mom of her rescued kitties and the love of her life, rescued pit bull “Austin”. One day she hopes to open up a vegan bed and breakfast / sanctuary for senior animals.
You can follow her on Instagram: @Chef_MichelleAnn