This is one of my favorite recipes from our brunch class, at the Natural Gourmet Institute. Enjoy the bold flavors of this classic American sandwich with a meatless twist, using tempeh. No need to crave meat after eating this. I added a side of roasted asparagus and a baked potato for an easy, tasty, vegan meal. This is a great meatless alternative for any bbq, picnic or party. Even your meat eater friends will enjoy!
- 2 cups filtered water
- ¼ cup shoyu
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz. tempeh, sliced on diagonal into 6-8 pieces
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut oil for frying
1. In 2 ½ quart saucepan, combine marinade ingredients. Cover pan, bring to boil.
2. Add tempeh slices, lower heat, and simmer uncovered 30-40 minutes.
3. Drain tempeh and pat dry.
4. In 12-inch sauté pan, heat oil. Brown tempeh slices on both sides. Drain on paper towel.
5. Let the creativity begin!
- Rye Bread
- Sliced tomato
- Avocado spread or Nayonaise