It’s grilling season and everything tastes better on the grill. Grilling is an easy way to get an amazing charred flavor, super-fast. You can create a flavorful alternative by using Portobello mushrooms; they are the steaks of the mushroom family. This is an easy recipe, where you and your family can be creative, building the perfect sandwich. Let the fun begin!
Prep time: 30 min cook time: 15 min total time: 45 min
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon dried thyme
6 garlic cloves, minced
4 large Portobello mushroom caps
2 red onions, sauté’ sliced (¼ inch thick)
4 red bell peppers, cut in half, stem and seeds removed
Pinch of salt and black pepper
4 sandwich rolls, toasted
1. Clean mushrooms and remove stems.
2. Coat grill rack with oil and heat the grill for medium-high, direct heat.
3. Combine the vinegar, mustard, olive oil, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl; and let it sit 15 minutes.
4. Place the onions on the grill and brush with the marinade, cook 2 minutes, then add peppers, skin-side down. Add the mushrooms and brush them with the remaining marinade. When the vegetables release easily from the grill surface and are well marked on the undersides, (about 4 minutes), turn and cook just tender, about 4 additional minutes.
5. Place the rolls, cut side down, on the grill until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. While the rolls toast, brush of the skin from the peppers. After the peppers have cooled, thinly slice them.
6. Build your sandwich.