Tempeh Picatta & Smoked Yams with Bok Choy
By: Ayinde Howell
- 1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Approximately 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast powder
- 1/4 cup white wine (Chardonnay)
- 1 package tempeh filleted
- All-purpose flour for dredging
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots roughly chopped
- Approximately 3 tablespoons white wine
- Remaining marinade
- 2 tablespoons capers
For bok choy:
- 8 heads baby bok choy
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Meyer lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Three small yams sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
In a small dish mix together marinade ingredients and lay tempeh flat. Allow to marinate for approximately 30 minutes, remove and set aside extra marinade.
While that’s happening, place yams in boiling water and cook until just fork tender meaning you can slide fork through, but still has firmness.
Once the yams are done remove water and place in a colander to drain and cool. Once cool using a spatula or a plate smash yams until they are flat.
Remove tempeh from marinade, dredge in flour and lay flat on cutting board.
Preheat oven to 250°
In a medium skillet over medium high heat, heat oil until hot and shimmering. One by one lay in tempeh, cook until golden brown on both sides. Once done remove from skillet and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
In the same skillet remove oil and reserve for later use. Melt butter and add smashed yams, cook until golden brown on both sides seasoning with thyme, salt and pepper. Place on a cookie sheet with tempeh and put in oven to keep warm.
For bok choy:
Using a small skillet over medium high heat, melt butter, add shallots and garlic working quickly. Add bok choy mix all ingredients well add Rice vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper reduce to medium low and cover. Allow to cook for approximately two minutes.
Butter sauce: in a small skillet melt 1/2 of your butter, add shallots sauté for approximately one minute, working quickly add white wine, marinade and Lemon juice. Remove skillet from heat add remaining butter mixing in with either a whisk or a fork. Add capers.
Plating: Yams then bok choy then tempeh top with butter sauce and parsley.