Watch me make this Spinach Mushroom Quiche on the @FoodNetwork live.
1 pre-made pie shell
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon safflower or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup tempeh bacon
- 1 (5-ounce) bag fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black salt (I use Kala Namak)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 350oF.1. Quiche filling: Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes longer. Reduce the heat to medium. Remove from the heat.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil.
3. In a separate bowl, combine chickpea flour, onion, garlic powder, black salt and nutritional yeast and remaining cup of water. Whisk well to combine. Once the water is boiling, slowly add the chickpea-water mixture. As you mix, it will become very thick. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick and glossy. Remove from the heat and add the reserved vegetable mixture and tempeh bacon. Mix well and add the remaining salt to taste. Add the spinach until the spinach wilts. Spread the filling evenly into the prepared pie crust. Smooth the top with a spatula and bake for 20 minutes.
4. Remove the quiche from the oven and brush the top with melted butter and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving. This is the hardest part of being a chef: the wait. I know, it’s really hard, but it will be so much better if you let it cool first!Spinach Salad w/ mustard maple vinaigrette
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 small heirloom tomato, rough chop
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup EVOO
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon stoneground mustard
1 tablespoon maple syrup
Mix well and dress.